Style & Performance
It’s the Madcap Cottage gents, Jason Oliver Nixon and John Loecke, your Calico brand ambassadors and “hosts with the most.” As we move into spring and summer—and look forward to festive get-togethers with friends and family and spending more time al fresco on porches and patios—we suggest that you embrace the high-design, high-function qualities of performance fabrics.
Here are a few favorite ways that we like to use performance fabrics in our own interior design projects as the weather warms up.
1. Curtain Panels for the Porch: There are amazing performance fabrics that hang beautifully—including Canvas from Sunbrella. Think remarkable stain, sun, moisture, and odor resistance, too, in on-trend hues including Coal, Spa, Natural, and Black. Come spring, we layer-in Canvas fabric curtain panels upon the covered front porch that deliver instant, look-at-me curb appeal—perhaps Black trimmed in Natural. The panels go up for several months and then get folded away as fall descends.
2. Throw Pillows: In the summer, there’s nothing better than layering up the porch or patio with high-octane solid and cabana-striped pillows that invite lounging, laughing, and reading. The Fortress indoor/outdoor fabric range gives just the right amount of summertime kick. This season, we have a hankering for the Kastel Aegean fabric in beige-and-emerald green stripes paired with the solid Ay Tribecca Fortress Outdoor in Bluegrass—the perfect mix of graphic and neutrals. And don’t forget to welt your outdoor pillows for extra élan and that decorator-inspired detail—we are smitten with the Fortress Ay Tribecca in timeless Indigo.
3. Table linens: Shh, but we use performance fabrics for our outdoor dining placemats and tablecloths, and why not? Our guests can spill freely without us worrying or running to the dry cleaner after the to-do, and that’s the sign of a good party. The Justina Blakeney Performance Fabrics with Crypton are our table linen go-to. Think a tablecloth in Passagio Lawn paired with Suz Indigo placemats—heaven! So bring on the red wine, and kick up that patio, daddy-o!
4. Dog beds! Performance fabrics are amazing for dog beds, and our four pound-rescue pups—Jasper, Weenie, Amy Petunia, and Cecil Deluxe—all lounge about on pillows crafted from the likes of Fortress, Sunbrella, and Sensuede. We bring the dog beds out on the terrace, and the pups kick back in comfort without us worrying about their dirty little toes. Comfortable and no-care, that’s the magic.
5. Slipcovers: We use performance fabrics as slipcovers to give our furnishings new life when the seasons change. Take your beige loveseat, for example, and give it a summertime spin with a classic blue-and-white slipcover from Calico in Bella Dura’s Infinity performance fabric in Blue. Perfection!
So there you have it! What are YOUR favorite performance fabric applications? We would love to see photos…